The Monash Guarantee
The Monash Guarantee can get you into a Monash course even if you don’t reach the course’s clearly-in ATAR. You could be eligible for the Monash Guarantee if you:
- have experienced financial disadvantage
- live in a low socio-economic area
- are an Indigenous Australian
- attend a Monash under-represented school.
How it works
Every Monash course has a Monash Guarantee ATAR, which is lower than the expected clearly-in for that course.
There are some exceptions:
- [ER] Extra Requirements courses have a range of selection criteria in addition to your ATAR, such as an interview or portfolio presentation. You are guaranteed a place if you are successful in the additional selection criteria.
- [RP] Reserved Places - These courses only have room for a set number of students. We have reserved some places for Monash Guarantee students who would not otherwise have been offered a place, and have the strongest results across a range of criteria.
To be eligible for the Monash Guarantee, you must:
- be studying an Australian Year 12 or International Baccalaureate in 2016
- meet the Monash Guarantee ATAR for your preferred course
- satisfy all course-specific prerequisites and requirements, such as the UMAT, a portfolio, interview or audition
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, a holder of Australian permanent residency or permanent humanitarian visa
- demonstrate that you have experienced financial disadvantage; live in a low socio-economic area; attend a Monash-listed under-represented school, or are an Indigenous Australian.
Financial hardship during secondary school can make it difficult for you to reach your full potential. To demonstrate financial disadvantage, you must have documents that prove at least one of these three statements:
- You or your parents receive an income-tested Centrelink benefit (e.g. Youth Allowance, Abstudy or Family Tax Benefit A)
- You and/or your family are facing financial hardship or excessive financial obligations (e.g. living on a farm suffering from drought or floods).
Low socio-economic area
If you live in a low socio-economic area and meet the required ATAR, you will be eligible for the Monash Guarantee. Find out if your address qualifies.
Monash benefits from a diverse student body that includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. If you are an Indigenous Australian, and you meet the required ATAR, you will be eligible for the Monash Guarantee.
Monash has identified more than 1000 schools across Australia as being under-represented at university. If you attend one of these schools and meet the required ATAR, you will be eligible for the Monash Guarantee.
How to apply
To apply for the Monash Guarantee, you must:
- submit a VTAC course application and include your preferred Monash University courses in your preference list
- complete a Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS) application including any required documentation
- complete a VTAC Scholarship application.