This scholarship was established from funds donated by the Victorian Medical Insurance Agency and introduced to encourage and attract students to pursue an undergraduate honours degree in medical sciences. The scholarship will assist financially disadvantaged students who may not have had the opportunity to complete their degree without the scholarship to gain a greater understanding of academic medicine whilst making their own contribution to the advancement of knowledge. As a condition of this scholarship, recipients will provide leadership tutoring and mentoring to other medical students residing in on campus accommodation.
Total average value of up to $22,000
Two types of scholarship are available:
- Monash Residential Services or Mannix College fees paid and tuition fees (Commonwealth Supported Place contributions) paid for one year, OR
- Tuition fees (Commonwealth Supported Place contributions) paid for one year
Preference may be given to students that live in MRS or Mannix college as these students will be able to better fulfil the mentoring requirements of the scholarship.
- The number offered varies depending on funding.
- Based on academic achievement and need and offered to the highest-achieving students.
- Must demonstrate leadership qualities
- Preference will be given to students in a regional and remote area of Victoria. Students from regional and remote areas in other parts of Australia or outer metropolitan Victoria may be considered if no student from regional Victoria is eligible
All conditions must be met
- Australian citizen
- Commencing the full-time Bachelor of Medical Sciences (Honours) degree in the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences at a Monash campus in Australia
- Be experiencing financial disadvantage
- Agree to mentor junior medical students residing in Monash Residential Halls or Mannix College (this may include leading weekly tutorials or study groups)
- You must maintain full-time enrolment in the Bachelor of Medical Sciences (Honours) degree.
- You are required to submit quarterly reports outlining your progress with your studies and tutoring activities in Monash Residential Services or Mannix College. These reports which are to be provided to PSA Insurance are to include details of your achievements over the course of the year, the impact the scholarship has had on you, description of your mentoring and tutoring activities and the outcome and contribution of the activities from a personal perspective as well as that for junior students. The Coursework Scholarships Unit will contact you in advance to notify you to when these reports are due.
Application and other information
- Cannot be deferred.
- Applications are open from 1 August to 31 October each year.
- A place will be reserved in Monash Residential Services or Mannix College for students who are offered the scholarship.
- Find out more about application information.