Entry pathways for domestic students

There is more than one way to become a Monash student. If you've got the drive and desire to become a part of our community, we'll do our best to get you here.

Most of our undergraduate domestic studentsNote enter via direct entry. If you've completed Year 12, the IB, or an equivalent qualification in Australia, and meet all the entry requirements, then you are eligible to apply.

If this describes you, and you've decided on a course you can go ahead and apply.

If you don't meet the requirements for direct entry, consider these options.

Diploma of Tertiary Studies

If you want to study business, education or nursing, but did not get the ATAR you need or have had some time off since school, DoTS could help. This one-year, full-time course allows you to study first-year university subjects, along with subjects designed to get you ready for thinking, writing and researching in the academic world.

If you successfully complete DoTS, you can move straight into second year of your degree course. We offer this entry pathway at the Berwick and Peninsula campuses.

Diploma of Higher Education

This course might suit you if you completed Year 12 but you didn’t quite meet the entry requirements for your dream course, if you’re returning to study or would benefit from additional learning support.

On successful completion of this one-year, full-time course, you can get up to one year  of credit towards a range of degrees in Education and Science. The Diploma of Higher Education is offered at the Clayton campus.

Monash Access Program

If you're a mature-age studentNote and have not studied at university before, MAP is for you. It will help you develop the  skills  you need to successfully study at university, and allows you to progress to a range of Monash courses. MAP has no tuition fees. We give priority to students who have experienced financial or other disadvantage.

Single units

If you don't meet minimum academic entry requirements, you can apply to do single units. A unit is a semester-long subject. Once you've completed two university units, you can apply for a large range of undergraduate courses.

Indigenous pathways

The Monash Indigenous Enabling Program and Indigenous Non-Award Pathway support Indigenous Australians who want to study at university. Apply for one of these programs if you only just missed out on getting into Monash  through  VTAC, or if you are mature age Note and would like to study at university.

TAFE qualifications

A graded Australian TAFE qualification provides an excellent pathway to many Monash courses. If you have successfully completed a certificate IV, diploma, or the first year of an advanced diploma, this may help you enter university. If you gain a place at Monash, you may be eligible for some credit towards your course for any graded TAFE studies you have completed.

Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)

If you don't have any school, TAFE or university results, you may still be able to enter some information technology courses by taking the Special Tertiary Admission Test (STAT). You must still meet the English language, age and any specific course requirements you see on your course page.

Transferring from another course

Most courses accept internal transfers from other Monash courses, as well as transfers from other universities. Ask the faculty managing the course you are looking to transfer into about the average grade required, as well as any extra requirements you may need to meet.

Monash University Foundation Year

If you're an international studentNote, Foundation Year gives you the best preparation and support for success at Monash University. It's a pre-university program offered through Monash College, and if you successfully complete it and meet the other entry requirements, we guarantee you entry into first year of any degree at Monash University. You'll choose    from    13 subjects to suit your skills, interests and the degree you wish to apply for.

Monash College diplomas

Monash College diplomas provide a pathway into the first or second year of a course in art, design and architecture; arts; business; engineering; or information technology. Both international Note and domestic students Note can study a Monash College diploma, and we offer some scholarships for domestic students. Commonwealth supported places are not available however students may be eligible for FEE-HELP.

Monash College English language courses and other resources for international students

Studying English at Monash will help you develop your English language and academic skills so you can you succeed at Monash College and Monash University. Monash College offers several different English language courses.

Our teachers are trained to teach international students. They will support you as you learn how to study in Australia. Each campus has academic advisers, counsellors and a student experience team to support your learning and to help you get involved in activities. There are excellent facilities to  help  you develop your English during and after class.