The Monash Guarantee
The Monash Guarantee recognises your potential to succeed at university is about more than just your ATAR. It ensures fair entry for students to Monash. You could be eligible for a guaranteed place at Monash – even if your achieved ATAR is below the clearly-in rank.
See below for further details and eligibility criteria or check out the Monash Guarantee brochure (PDF, 0.1 MB).
Do you attend a school that is under-represented at university?
Monash has identified over 1000 schools across Australia as being under-represented at university. We know many students from these schools have the ability to succeed if they are given the opportunity to study at Monash. If you attend one of these schools and achieve the required ATAR, you will be eligible for the Monash Guarantee. If you miss out on that, you will still be eligible for SEAS bonuses.
Have you experienced financial disadvantage?
Financial hardship during secondary school is one reason many students have difficulty reaching their full potential. So if you meet the criteria, and achieve the required ATAR, you will be eligible for the Monash Guarantee.
Are you an Indigenous Australian?
Monash benefits from a diverse student body that includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. If you are an Indigenous Australian and achieved the required ATAR, you will be eligible for the Monash Guarantee.
How it works
If you meet the eligibility criteria including all course prerequisites, extra requirements, and achieved the ATAR for your chosen course (starting at 70+), the Monash Guarantee will provide you with:
- a guaranteed offer for these courses where selection is based on ATAR only
- a guaranteed offer for these courses where selection is based on a range of criteria if you are successful in the additional selection requirements such as interview or portfolio presentation
- a guaranteed consideration for a reserved place for these courses. Offers will be made to students whose combined results across the range of criteria are the strongest.
The Monash Guarantee does not include any scholars courses.
Vice-Chancellor's Access Monash Scholars
If you are admitted through the Monash Guarantee with an achieved ATAR of 90+ (94 for Laws) or are an Indigenous student offered a Monash Scholarship for Exceptional Achievement or a Monash Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement, you will be invited to join the Vice-Chancellor's Access Monash Scholars (VCAMS) program, which includes a $1000 UniStart bursary.
To be eligible for the Monash Guarantee, you must:
- be studying Australian Year 12 or International Baccalaureate in 2015
- satisfy the criteria for financial disadvantage or attend a Monash listed under-represented school or be an Indigenous Australian
- achieve the guaranteed ATAR for your preferred course
- satisfy all course prerequisites and extra requirements such as the UMAT, a portfolio, an interview or an audition
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, holder of an Australian permanent resident or permanent humanitarian visa.
To assist you with confirming your eligibility, check out our Monash Guarantee eligibility flowchart.
How to apply
To apply for the Monash Guarantee, you must:
- submit a VTAC course application and include your preferred Monash University courses in your preference list
- complete a Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS) application including any required documentation
- complete a VTAC Scholarship application.