Visa requirements

Applying for a student visa

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) is responsible for issuing visas for entry to Australia. Students who are planning to study a CRICOS registered course are required to obtain a student visa.

See Applying for a student visa for information about the application process.

New Simplified Student Visa Framework

From 1 July, 2016, the Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) will replace the existing Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) and the current Assessment Level (AL) framework.

The key changes with the new SSVF are:

  • fewer student visa subclasses (reduced from eight to two); and
  • a simplified single immigration risk framework for all international students.

If you are offshore when applying, you will be need to apply for your student visa online.  You can only start the online application after you receive the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE). We will only issue an eCOE after you have accepted your course offer.

For a transitional period as directed by DIBP, if you are onshore when applying (that is, you are living in and applying for a student visa within Australia) you can continue to apply online for a student visa with an offer letter.

The DIBP online student visa application will assess you against a range of criteria and determine the level of English and financial capacity required. You are still expected to meet other requirements such as Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE), good character and health criteria. For more information, visit the document checklist on the DIBP website.

The post study work visa known as the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is not affected by the change.

Current student visa processing arrangements will remain in place until the SSVF is implemented from 1 July, 2016.

For more information regarding the student visa changes please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

Assessing your student visa application (the following information is valid until 30 June 2016)

Students who apply for a student visa are assessed against either:

  • one of the Assessment Levels for each visa subclass
  • or, for eligible students, against SVP requirements.

If you are eligible for SVP then you will be assessed as if you are an Assessment Level 1 (AL1) student. If you are not eligible for SVP, your student visa assessment level will be determined by your passport country and course(s) of study.

The visa subclass you will be assessed against is determined by your main course of study. Use the table below to find your visa.

Visa subclass

Your course type

570 Independent ELICOS

Monash University English Language Centre

573 Higher Education

  • Monash College Diploma
  • Monash University undergraduate and master's by coursework

574 Postgraduate Research

Monash University master's by research, or doctoral degree

575 Non-award Foundation Studies/other

Monash Abroad

575 Non-award

Monash University Foundation Year

576 Australia Awards/Defence Sponsored

Australia Awards sponsored scholarship students

Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP)

SVP arrangements apply to visa applicants applying for a student visa:

  • to study in an eligible higher-education course
  • with a university participating in SVP arrangements.

From March 2012, DIBP assesses student visa applicants with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from Monash according to Assessment Level 1 (low migration risk) criteria regardless of their country of origin. As Monash University is participating in the SVP arrangements, your eligibility for SVP processing will depend on your course of study.

Eligible courses

You are eligible for the Streamlined Visa Process (SVP) if you are enrolled in a/an:

  • bachelor degree
  • 2 plus 2 (or 3 plus 1) arrangement with a partner university
  • master's degree by coursework
  • master's degree by research
  • doctoral degree
  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) and/or preparatory courses such as Monash University Foundation Year or Monash College diplomas, which are explicitly packaged with an eligible university course at the same time when the offer of enrolment is made
  • semester- or year-long non-award courses at a university in Australia as part of your home university's degree course and/or part of an agreed student exchange between universities.

SVP visa application process

To be eligible for SVP, students must not apply for a student visa until the University issues the student with a CoE. A CoE is normally issued after student acceptance (by returning to the University the International Student Course Agreement and paying the required course deposit).

To comply with Australian law, your application will be assessed to check that you are genuinely seeking temporary entry to Australia to study. The University will sometimes require further documentation from a student prior to CoE issue. If the University forms the opinion that you are not a Genuine Temporary Entrant it may refuse to assess your application, withdraw an offer of a place, or cancel your confirmation of enrolment.

Visa application criteria

Students must satisfy all relevant AL1 DIBP visa criteria including:

  • English-language proficiency
  • financial capacity
  • genuine temporary entrant requirement
  • health and character criteria
  • arrangements for Overseas Student Health cover (OSHC).

More information is available at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website. For applicants applying for a visa from outside Australia, please contact an Australian Government office.

Courses ineligible for SVP arrangements

The following courses are ineligible for SVP and students will be assessed according to standard Student Visa Assessment Level arrangements:

  • short courses
  • associate degrees
  • graduate diplomas
  • graduate certificates
  • diplomas and advanced diplomas
  • non-award courses (except as mentioned above)
  • courses below bachelor level delivered by universities which are dual-sector (VET and University)
  • preparatory programs (such as ELICOS, Foundation or Diplomas) not packaged with an eligible university course.

Your visa subclass depends on what kind of study you will be doing. You need to apply for your visa based on your subclass type.

Visa application process for non-SVP eligible students

If you are ineligible for SVP arrangements, your visa application will be assessed according to standard visa application processes. Your student visa assessment level will be determined just by your passport country and course(s) of study. The Student visa subclass under which you will be assessed is determined by your main course of study, even if you are studying a package of courses.

Find out more about your country assessment level.

Visa application criteria

As for students eligible for SVP arrangements, students ineligible for SVP must satisfy all relevant student visa criteria.

Your visa conditions

When you are issued with a student visa, your visa conditions will be attached to the grant of the visa. See Visa conditions for Student Visa holders.

Working in Australia

When your visa is approved, you will be given permission to work. For students granted a subclass 573 visa, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight after you start your course. During the semester breaks there is no restriction on the hours you work. For students granted a subclass 574 visa, you have unrestricted work rights.