Master of Design course.This program is available for students interested in beginning studies in 2016. If you're interested in starting in 2017, we encourage you to consider the new
Whether you want to get ahead in your career faster, or improve your knowledge, a Monash postgraduate degree can give you a distinct advantage.
At a glance
|Location(s):||On-campus at Caulfield: Full time|
|Duration:||2 years (full time)|
|Start date:||Second Semester (July)|
|Qualification:||Master of Interaction Design|
The Master of Interaction Design is a specialised postgraduate coursework degree for students seeking to become interaction designers. This course covers a broad range of areas, including the application of advanced technologies, electronics and programming, physical or virtual interface manipulation, material and engineering fabrication. Students will be exposed to the key concepts of interaction design. They will explore innovative approaches to the integration of advanced technologies in design practice. They will also gain an understanding of social and business contexts in which products and technologies are used.
During the final year of the degree, students have the opportunity to design interactive artifacts, systems or services that may contribute to leading industrial projects. Students will be able to connect and collaborate with students linked with the International Tangible Interaction Design Lab, forming relationships for future projects and potentially future careers.
The course is designed to benefit students from a variety of backgrounds including design, architecture, engineering, information technology and computer science. Students who have existing design expertise will be engaged and challenged. Students without background in design will gain the fundamental design skills needed to succeed.
The Master of Interaction Design enables professionals from varied backgrounds to specialise and transform their career path. Graduates can pursue careers in various industries including interaction design, system design, product design, interface design, service design, and entertainment design. They may work on projects that include various informational or 'smart' products, systems and services-related design. This course can also provide a pathway into higher degree by research.
You need to satisfy the following entrance requirements to be considered for entry to this course.
Please note: This information is based on the 2015 course. We are in the process of updating for 2016, and the information will be available shortly.
- Applicants should hold an Australian bachelor degree or equivalent from a recognised tertiary institution. This degree should be in media, design, architecture, information technology, computer science, engineering or other constructive technology disciplines.
- Applicants must meet the University's postgraduate English entry requirements .
- Applicants with complete university studies may be considered eligible for entry to a course if they have met course prerequisites.
- International applicants (including holders of a New Zealand Permanent Resident Visa) should apply for admission to Monash University via International Recruitment Services .
- International applicants with complete tertiary qualifications obtained overseas are assessed by Monash University on a case by case basis to determine whether they meet the minimum tertiary entrance requirement. Results in a language other than English must be translated.
Applicants must also meet the English language requirements.
University entrance requirements
Minimum entrance requirements for admission to Monash University Australia.
Making the application
Fees are subject to change annually.
Domestic fees are per 48 credit points which represents a standard full-time course load for a year.
As a full fee-paying student, you may be eligible to apply for the optional FEE-HELP to assist you to pay all or part of your tuition fees.
We offer over 200 types of scholarships, valued at up to $70,000. Some scholarships offer one-off payments while others continue for the length of your course. Learn more about Monash Scholarships.
The Student Services and Amenities Fee applies to some students each calendar year.